Born in Quorn, South Australia I spent many of my early years on the road and found a home in the Northern Territory as my parents established a church there. My time in the Northern Territory moulded an innate love of the land, mechanics and people into me, and it was through the observation of my parents as they cared for the community and served in the Salvation Army flying padre that I chose to leave my initial career as a mechanic and enter the Salvation Army Training College in Melbourne.
My time in the Salvation Army taught me the value of empathising and listening to people in all walks of life, and after serving as a minister in The Salvation Army and marrying Colleen, we made the especially difficult decision to branch out on our own in 1993. With two children and a wife to care for, I relocated to Geelong and I worked as a bus driver for Gull Airport Services. My love for people drew me to become a Funeral Chaplain for many years before leaving this to pursue a degree in Social Work. Since this time I have established myself academically and practically as a social worker, mentoring and working in various leadership positions within the Salvation Army Social Services in Geelong and later with the State Government in the Department of Human Services in public Housing services and later included Disability Accommodation Services.
In every situation, it is my desire to reach out to people and assist them in the changes and situations in their life to help them reach their potential. Due to my rich life experience, I am able to empathise and connect with people from a variety of backgrounds. Whether this is through supervision or a discussion about family dynamics, anger or other life issues, I am passionate about listening to people and assisting them in figuring out what their next step is.
Education and Experience
- Train the Mentor – Mentors and Business International – January 1012
- Advance Diploma of Management – Australian Institute of Management – September 2012
- People Performance – DHS for managers – December 2010
- Provide Coaching and Motivation – DHS for managers – November 2010
- Masters of Human Services Management – Charles Sturt University (2008)
- Strength Based Solution Focused Training Course – Bendigo Regional Institute of TAFE (2007)
- Certificate IV in Workplace Assessment & Training – Innovative Business Training (2005)
- Bachelor of Social Work – Deakin University (2002)
- Bachelor of Arts (Majoring in Sociology) – Deakin University (2002)
- Salvation Army Officer Diploma: Completed in 1983 at the Salvation Army Training College, Parkville, Victoria, including Counselling
- Australian Association of Social Work (AASW)
- Mentors and Business Coaches International
“Duncan enabled me to share honestly everything I was struggling with. I felt totally safe and able to completely trust him. He has brought understanding to my past, enabling me to strongly move forward. This was key, as was insight into my personality type, which surprisingly has brought so much freedom. With new, healthier skills, I’m enjoying life to the fullest. Absolutely brilliant. Thank you Duncan!
Receiving Duncan's help has enabled me to get through and
survive the ordeal. I have been able to learn and understand more
about myself and I will use this to try and navigate my way through
life. I will use all the techniques and strategies he has
provided me with. Duncan, you have helped me lay to rest an enormous burden I
had carried all of my adult life as well, and this has also made a big
difference to me. Thank you for listening.
(*Name changed for privacy reasons)
If you would like to talk to Duncan about how he can help you, you can contact him on 0434 331 243 for a FREE 10 minute consultation. If you are ready to make an appointment with Duncan, click BOOK NOW and follow the prompts.