Social worker and youth specialist
Raised in Geelong, I have been involved in the local community for as long as I can remember. Being involved in church youth ministries from my early teenage years, I grew a passion for working with young people as they faced life’s transitions. Once I graduated from high school, I took part in an internship in youth ministry and studied theology, acquiring a diploma in Christian Ministry and Theology through Harvest Bible College.
During this time, I began to reflect on my desire to partner with people on life’s journey and subsequently chose to undertake a Bachelor of Social Work at Deakin University. Throughout my studies I had the privilege of working with a diverse range of people all across Australia, including children and youth, asylum seekers, refugees and Aboriginal Australians. I learned about the resilience and creativity of individuals to reach their potential through the most trying of circumstances. As a result, a love for social justice and human rights became engrained within me, and I incorporated that into my practice, with the desire to give people space to tell their story and find meaning within it.
I believe that when individuals are able to identify their strengths and have the skills to navigate life’s ups and downs, they impact the wider community for the better. With this in mind, I completed a Masters in International and Community Development, focusing on the way stigma keeps young people from accessing support and the impact of spirituality within community contexts.
I am able to assist youth and young adults with a variety of issues using creative play therapy, sand play, symbolism and tapping into unconscious. Each session is a safe space for an individual to share their story and explore ways to heal and grow. I explore zones of regulation with my clients and teach emotional intelligence which can be used to identify emotions and help form a language for a child’s family to communicate with each other.
- Masters in International and Community Development, Majoring in Community Development- Deakin University (2018)
- Bachelor of Social Work – Deakin University (2015)
- Diploma in Christian Ministry- Harvest Bible College (2014)
- Certificate 4 in Christian Ministry and Theology- History Makers Bible College (2011)
- Certificate 3 in Christian Ministry- Vetamorphus (2009)
- Internship, Youth and Schools Coordinator, Urban Seed, Norlane (2017)
- The Salvation Army, ‘Hope for Life’ Suicide Support and Bereavement Training (2015)
- Restorative Justice training, International institute for Restorative Practices, (2015)
- Student Social Worker, YMCA Youth Services Katherine NT (2005)
- Cultural Training (Indigenous clans in Katherine, NT)
- Student Social Worker, Anglicare NT (2015)
- Student Social Worker, New Hope Refugee Centre (2014)
- Working effectively with Mental Health (CHCM301B)- Alphacrusis College (2013)
- Youth Ministry Internship- Barrabool Hills Baptist Church (2009)
- Cofounder and director of mental health non profit Hope Movement
- Certified nanny in the Geelong region for eight years
- Youth leader at various churches for nine years
- In depth work with community groups in Norlane, Central Geelong, Werribee and the Northern Territory.
- Guest speaker at local schools to educate students on leadership, emotional intelligence, resilience, identity and mental health
- Available to conduct for group work with children, youth and adults of all ages
- Trained to conduct Shine, Strength and Mental Health 101 curriculums
- Australian Association of Social Work (AASW)