I am passionate social worker and International and Community Development Practitioner. I am a Geelong local, and for the past six years, I have offered therapy for children and young people aged 4-18. Now, I am excited to open my books to adults as well!
If I was to hold a placard, it would say, “You matter!” I believe that every person is valuable, no matter their background, diagnoses, culture, beliefs, gender or stage of life they are in.
I have experienced chronic illness and the impact of mental ill health – but I’ve also experienced also the power of healthy community and awesome counsellors. This motivated me to become a therapist, allowing me help people navigate the hills and valleys of life.
As a practitioner, I have been given incredible opportunities to learn from First Nations Youth in the Northern Territory. I have also worked alongside asylum seekers and refugees in Victoria and facilitated community programs for people across the Geelong region. For 6 years I directed the charity Hope Movement and travelled throughout Victoria, speaking at schools, festivals and churches about mental health, seeking support, and suicide prevention.
Recently, I have also worked alongside The Salvation Army in Geelong to direct a mental health program for young people. Through this, I partnered with schools to provide consultation, implement short term resilience programs, and provide referrals.
I have a Client-Centred approach, which is based upon the person’s needs and preferences. I utilise approaches such as Narrative Therapy, Psycho Education, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Relaxation Strategies, Motivational Interviewing, Attachment Work and Skills Training (e.g. parenting skills, social skills, coping skills). I also utilise Social and Emotional learning curriculums and the Zones of Regulations curriculum in my work.
I am able to assist people with a variety of life experiences, including: trauma, anxiety, depression, stress, grief, chronic illness, abuse, identity exploration, lack of social skills, emotional regulation difficulties, suicidality, self harming behaviours, low self esteem, isolation and lack of community connection, relationship difficulties, academic struggles and parenting strategies.
What can I provide?
- Counselling (Therapy) for people of all ages
- Therapeutic Play sessions
- Parent / Guardian consults
- Supervision for Social Workers
- Consults for businesses, community organisations, churches and schools
- Workshops for businesses, community organisations, churches and schools
- EAP counselling
- NDIS Counselling (Self managed plans)
- Counselling for Victims of Crime (VOC)
- Counselling and support for Children in the Child Protection System
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Graduate Certificate in Therapeutic Child Play
- Master in International and Community Development
- Diploma of Christian Ministry
I have experience working with:
- Indigenous Communities
- Asylum seekers and refugees (CALD communities)
- The hearing impaired and interpreters
- Primary and Secondary Schools
- Communities in disadvantaged suburbs
- LGBTQIA+ community
- Church communities
- Neurodivergent young people
- Australian Association of Social Work (AASW)
Call Rachel now on 0442177193 for a free 10 minute consultation on how he can help you, or book online here.